Several years ago, the Burlingame Public Library donated the original Burlingame Public library chandelier to the Historical Society. During the 1990s library remodel, the spanish revival style chandelier (c. 1930) that had adorned the E. L. Norberg designed foyer for over half a century was replaced with modern fixtures. The original fixture was stored away. When it was rediscovered in storage years later, the iron had become heavily rusted from moisture and all the lamp globes were broken.
Our Board recently approved funding to completely restore and rewire the beautiful chandelier for the lighting of our History Museum in the railroad station. A portion of the funding was received through the Burlingame Community Grant program. We were fortunate enough through the library to locate an old photograph of the chandelier in the original foyer to aid in its restoration. This splendid antique fixture has just been installed in the Mission Revival style station after permission was granted to us by those entities charged as stewards to the historic, National Register listed building. The chandelier replaces a non-historic, industrial fixture that emitted little light.
Please come by and look in the window, or visit us. We are thrilled with the result and know you will be, too!