The Broadway Arch is an early example of adaptive reuse in Burlingame. Dating back to what remained of the vast Howard Estate, the sign was originally erected on El Camino Real and Howard Ave. to advertise the Pacific City amusement park in the early 1920s, a beloved, albeit short-lived destination on the “beach” of what is now known as Coyote Point.
When the park failed in 1923, the sign was salvaged and sold to the Broadway Development Association. In 1927 a newly worded sign that read: “Broadway-Burlingame” was installed over Broadway at California Drive to advertise the shopping district. The beloved sign was restored in the late 1980s as a result of the “Save the Arch” campaign.
READ MORE: Broadway Arch monograph 1988